On Saturday evening, October 13th, 2018, the Jews and Jewishness in the Dance World Conference will present an evening of curated dance films as a conference offering and is seeking submissions.
Echoing the conference description, the scope, definition and audience for this call for submissions is deliberately broad and inclusive. Works submitted should address some of these concerns:
- Without settling on a singular notion of a Jewish point of view, does the perspective of this film present a Jewish one?
- How is experience, memory, tradition, identity, struggle, celebration framed through a notion of Jewishness?
- What are the cultural/geographical/historical lenses through which those experiences are presented/seen?
- Are notions of “Jewishness” reflected in the perspective of the choreographer, the cinematic and/or editing choices, the identities of the performers, the movement vocabularies, the locations, and thematic content of the work, i.e., immigration, social justice, progressive human rights, health and well–being, etc.?
- How have Jews re-presented the dancing body and how are those bodies placed within the site of screendance?
- How can the camera bring Jewish dancing bodies of color and diverse ethnicities to the screen?
- How have Jews contributed to the instantiation and rise of screendance as an art form and how does your work fit into or challenge that trajectory?
- Must exemplify the merging of the art form of choreography with cinematography in the genre of screendance and must not be a documentary nor a documentation of a stage performance.
- Submissions must include a 200 word or less statement that addresses at least one of the above questions/concerns.
- All dance forms are welcome.
- Must not be longer than 15 minutes.
There is no limitation as to when the films were created.
There is no submission fee.
Deadline for submissions: July 20, 2018
Questions? Contact Ellen Bromberg: email@example.com
You can also see this as a shareable PDF at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10RcGg2JjRv-a-yycs1s96hbheetK9Vq-/view?usp=sharing