Light Moves Festival of Screendance 2015 announces Open Call for Papers and Presentations for Symposium “Peeling Away the Layers”
Closing date: Friday 07 August
Festival dates: 19-22 November, Limerick
Light Moves festival of screendance has announced its open call for presentations and paper proposals for inclusion at the Light Moves Screendance Symposium 2015: ‘Peeling away the layers’. The symposium sits within the Light Moves festival and aims to encourage artistic and scholarly exchange, debate and discussion in screendance and related disciplines including performance, dance, film, visual arts, sound and text. Hosted by Dance Limerick and DMARC (Digital Media and Arts Research Centre), University of Limerick, the Light Moves festival and symposium take place in Limerick from 19-22 November 2015. Proposals should be submitted in PDF format only to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 7th August 2015. Full details are available from www.lightmoves.ie
Proposals for presentations, papers and project discussions are invited from national and international practitioners and scholars. Experimental and/or group formats of presentation are welcome. Papers and project presentations may include but are not limited to the following areas:
– Screendance as a language for social, cultural and political conversations.
– Let’s talk about digital: Challenging the allure of High Definition; The ubiquitous camera; Primitive technologies, embracing artefact and rediscovering lo-fi.
– Screendance conventions and the interplay between mainstream and experimental practices.
– Mediating and experiencing time in screendance (uninterrupted, compressed and expanded time).
– Harnessing performativity; liveness in screendance.
– Confronting stereotype (body, dance and location).
Proposals should be no more than 300 words and should include:
– Title of paper or presentation
– A maximum 300 word abstract (including brief description of the questions, concepts and topics to be explored)
– Preferred presentation format/approach
– A short biography
– A/V requirements
– Website links supporting the proposal, if available.
Light Moves festival of screendance 2015 takes place in Limerick from 19-22 November and follows the highly successful inaugural event last year. Ireland’s only festival of screendance, Light Moves is dedicated to the art of dance film and video art with movement as a central theme. The festival is a response to the vibrant and expanding field of dance film / screendance in Ireland. Light Moves is curated by Jurgen Simpson and Mary Wycherley and combines classics, family screenings, invited works, open submissions, and explorations of screendance with some of the most respected figures in the field. Light Moves is supported by the Arts Council, Limerick City and County Council, Dance Limerick and DMARC, University of Limerick. See www.lightmoves.ie